Capital Maintenance and Improvement Projects at the Horne Foundry, Glencore
Mandate and Objectives
Glencore’s Horne smelter is located in Rouyn-Noranda. Glencore is among the largest copper producers in the world. The Foundry is the benchmark in metal transformation and recycling, producing 99.1% pure copper anodes.
For 20 years, ASDR has been involved in continuous improvement projects at the foundry, across a variety of plant sectors.
Challenges and Issues
- Providing a dedicated team on site and in our offices to support the execution of a variety of projects.
- Ensuring the quality and responsiveness to Glencore’s requests
Solutions and Achievements
Provision of multidisciplinary engineering, project management, construction supervision and health & safety management services for a variety of projects:
- Refurbishment of the Noranda converter
- Improvement projects around the converter and anode furnaces
- Refurbishment and replacement of equipment (overhead cranes, lifting tools, heat exchangers, maintenance hoods, etc.)
- Maintenance and improvement projects (process, concentrator, ore transport, ore flow, environment, buildings, ventilation and hydrocarbon tank farm)
- Upgrade of off-gas treatment equipment
- Replacement of sulfuric acid plant equipment
- Miscellaneous work on the cryogenic oxygen plant
- Structural inspection of buildings
- Client Glencore
• Project management
• Building management
• Health and safety monitoring
- Place Rouyn-Noranda, Quebec
The project in a Few Numbers
years in the service of Glencore